Merton CIL calls for pledges from local election parties and candidates

Merton CIL has called on parties and candidates to pledge to 6 actions if they are successful in the council elections next month.


The actions are based on 6 issues identified by Merton CIL’s members:

1. To co-produce policies and services with Deaf and Disabled people

2. To review charges for council home care services.

3. To support efforts to fully involve service users in the new Integrated Care System, particularly in relation to mental health services.

4. To work to remove barriers to access, including specifically to review where pavement parking is allowed and increasing enforcement to reduce illegal parking on pavements.

5. To explore how to reach the existing target of 10% of new homes being wheelchair accessible and the other 90% meeting the general access standard.

6. To make all parts of Merton equally good places to live and work.


‘We’ve asked for these pledges as they will commit the successful parties to look at these issues and develop plans that will improve the lives of Deaf and Disabled people in Merton,’ says Michael Turner, Merton CIL’s Policy and Strategy Manager.

He concludes: ‘We’d like all our members and supporters to ask the candidates in their areas to support the pledges and help to make sure disability issues are high on the agenda for the councillors who are elected in May.’


Details of the pledges can be downloaded here: Merton CIL - Local Election Pledges 2022

Candidates can download and return the pledge form to us: Merton CIL Candidate Pledge Form

Candidates can print use this poster/card for social media posts: Social Media Card