Information on Housing and Homelessness 

This Chapter focuses upon: Housing/homelessness advice services, housing repairs and benefits/grants available

The information in this chapter was last check on: 29th Jan 2018 

We do not take any responsibility for the information on external links.

If you notice any mistakes or know of any organisations/information that may be relevant to the chapter please do get in contact via email

Information that can be found in this chapter:

  • Local Housing advice services
  • Housing and Homelessness support services
  • Benefits and Grants

1. Local Housing and Homelessness advice services  

The Council has a legal duty to ensure that vulnerable people are housed in accommodation that will provide a safe and secure environment. This is usually in the form of social housing. Accommodation is provided using a points system, and physical, sensory or learning impairment, mental health issues or health conditions may give extra points.


Merton Housing Register – Joining the Register

Download application form here:

Post or deliver application form to: Merton Link, Civic Centre, London Road, Morden, SM4 5DX


Most people on the Housing Register can bid for properties on the Home Connections website, Merton’s 'choice-based lettings' system. Social housing in Merton is provided by housing associations, and Merton Council does not own any council housing.


Homeless or Threatened with Homelessness

If you are Homeless or Threatened with Homelessness, you should contact Merton Council as soon as possible. You are "threatened with homelessness" if you are likely to become homeless within 28 days.

You will need to visit: Merton Link, Civic Centre, London Road, Morden, SM4 5DX. Our opening times are Monday to Friday - 9am to 5pm.

Where you will wait and meet with the Housing Options Adviser. Make sure you bring along any relevant documentation.


If you are made homeless out of hours

If you are made homeless outside our normal office hours you must contact Merton’s Out of Hours service by telephoning 020 8770 5000 who will be able to put you in contact with the night duty social workers. They will carry out an initial assessment of your housing needs and, where appropriate, place you into emergency accommodation. You will need to contact us the next working day so that a full assessment of your housing needs can be made.



You can appeal if you are not satisfied with the assistance offered by the council. Ask for an appeal form from Residential Services or the Civic Centre.


2. Housing and Homelessness support services


Shelter General Advice: 

Telephone: 0808 800 4444 

Shelter helps millions of people every year struggling with bad housing or homelessness through our advice, support and legal services.  


Homeless UK

A website giving information on advice services, day centres and hostels.


Rough Sleepers’ Hotline

Telephone: 020 8404 1481

Benefits, Grants and Support


Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is a means-tested benefit which is paid to people who pay rent for their home.

Download the application form from here:

Telephone: 020 8274 4903 between 9.00am and 5.00pm.


Winter Fuel Payment

The Winter Fuel Payment is an annual one-off payment to help you pay for heating during the winter. Anyone born on or before 5 January 1953 can get it, if you live in the UK or another eligible country.

Find out more about the Winter Fuel Payment

Winter Fuel Payment Centre, Mail Handling Site A, Wolverhampton, WV98 1LR 

Telephone: 03459 15 15 15 
Textphone: 0345 606 0285 


Cold Weather Payments

Cold Weather Payments are one-off payments to help you pay for extra heating costs when it’s very cold.

You’ll get a payment each time the temperature drops below a specific temperature for a set period of time.


You’ll only be eligible if you already get:

  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit


Find out more about Cold Weather Payments:

You don’t need to apply. If you’re eligible to get a Cold Weather Payment, you’ll be paid it automatically.


Warm Home Discount Scheme

You might be able to get £140 off your electricity bill under the Warm Home Discount Scheme if you’re either:

  • getting the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit
  • on a low income


The scheme is run by certain energy companies. Check with your supplier to see if they run the scheme.

Find out more about the Warm Home Discount Scheme:


Warm Home Discount Team, Pink Zone, 1st Floor, Peel Park, and Brunel Way, Blackpool, FY4 5ES 

Telephone: 0345 603 9439 

Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm


Grants to help pay off your energy debts

If you’re in debt to your energy supplier, you might be able to get a grant from a charitable trust to help pay it off.

The following energy companies offer grants and schemes that are open to anyone - you don't have to be a customer:

There are also companies who offer grants specifically for their customers:


The organisation Auriga Services has a list of grants and schemes from energy and water companies across the UK  .

When you apply for a grant, you'll have to provide detailed information about your financial situation in your application. It could take a while to complete, and it might be worth getting help applying. 


Before you apply

Charitable trusts like you to show that you have received debt advice before you apply. Debt advice can help you manage your debts and increase your chances of making a successful application.


Energy Saving Advice Service 

Telephone: 0300 123 1234


Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm, Saturday, 10am to 2pm
Calls to this number can cost up to 9p a minute from a landline, or between 8p and 40p a minute from a mobile (your phone supplier can tell you how much you’ll pay).


The Home Heat Helpline

The Home Heat Helpline also gives free, impartial advice to people on low incomes who are worried about their energy costs and staying warm during winter.

Telephone: 0800 33 66 99


Recycling and Waste Disposal


Reuse & Recycling Centres

Merton: 63-69 Amenity Way off Garth Road Morden, SM4 4AX

Telephone: 020 8274 4902


Sutton: Kimpton Park Way (off Oldfields Road, A217), Sutton, SM3 9QH


Safety and Security at Home


Register your personal belongings

You can register your valuable possessions for free. This website helps police identify owners of lost or stolen property.


Mascot Telecare

MASCOT Telecare and Community Support Services provide a range of initiatives enabling people to remain at home with independence and security. Offering carelines and telecare services to vulnerable people and those with a disability, MASCOT prevents unnecessary admissions to hospital and residential care.


Telephone: 020 8274 5940